1. Discuss four key political issues of the Gilded Age.
2. What caused the Panic of 1873?
3. Discuss the significance of Plessy vs. Ferguson.
4. What was the difference between the concept of sharecropping and the crop-lien system?
1. Evaluate the growth of the transcontinental railroad after the American Civil War.
2. Identify at least three Captain's of Industry and the contributions they made to their industry.
3. Discuss the concept of Social Darwinism and "survival of the fittest."
4. What caused the Knights of Labor to decline?
1. Differentiate between 'old " and " new" immigration. How did Americans react to the new immigrants?
2. Who was Jane Addams ? Explain the role of settlement houses in urban America.
3. Explain the interest in sports and recreation in the late nineteenth century
4. How did the church confront the challenges of urbanization. Discuss the role of women in the new urban environment.
1.What happened to Native Americans as white settled west?
2.Discuss the importance of the Dawes Severalty Act of 1887.
3.How did mining affect the development of the West?
4. Discuss the evolution of the farmer movement. Who did farmers have grievance's against?
1. List factors leading to the rise of imperialism in America.
2. Evaluate the Spanish - American War with references to causes , key battles and consequences .
3. List the reasons why American s were divided over the question of annexing the Philippines in 1898.
4. Discuss the significance of the Open Door Policy in China.
1. Who were the progressives, and what were their major objectives?
2. Who were the muckrakers and what impact did they have?
3. Discuss Theodore Roosevelt's and William Taft's progressive programs?
4. What caused the split between Roosevelt and Taft?
1.How was Wilson's progressivism different from Roosevelt's? What was significant about the passage of the Federal Reserve Act?
2.Discuss Wilson's foreign policies specifically in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
3.Why did Wilson involve the United States in Mexico's revolutionary turmoil?
4. Discuss the event that are unfolding between 1915 and 1917 that will eventually lead the United States into World War I.
1. How did the United States help the AAllies win the First World War?
2. What was significant about Wilson's Fourteen Points?
3.Discuss the Senate's rejection of the Treaty of Versailles. Ultimately , where did responsibility lie, with Wilson or the Senate?
4. Why were there large scale violations of civil liberties during World War I?
1. What were the origins of the Red Scare?
2. How would you characterize the 1920's from an economic and social perspective?
3. What was significant about the Monkey Trial?
4. What was modernism, and how did it influence American culture?
1. To what extent were the policies of the 1920s a rejection of progressivism?
2. What was the effect of isolationism and the peace movement on American politics between the two world wars?
3. What drove the growth of the American economy in the 1920s?
4. What were the causes of the stock market crash and the Great Depression?