Sexual Violence and Genocide in the CA Missionization Process—History Ignored
“In the history of Western civilization writ large, rape is an act of domination, an act of power. As such, it is a violent political act through sexual aggression against women”.--Antonia Castaneda
Essay Question/Topic: In California, the history of the missions is taught in the fourth grade and usually it is a sanitized version of the true history, and usually the main project involves building a mission. Rarely does it include an analysis of violence. Menchaca introduces us to process of racialization during colonization and missionization in California (Chapter 5). And Castaneda in her essay looks at how sexual violence was introduced to the native peoples of Alta California, as well as analyzes its effects on the missionization process (for both the Church and the native peoples). For your next assignment, you will examine and analyze the missionization process in California.
Discuss these ideas further in a 3 to 3 ½ page essay:
- What were some of the important themes that emerged in the readings (Menchaca and Castaneda, and Class lecture material/handouts)?
- What impact do you think racialization and the castas/casta system had on this process, particularly regarding class inequality and the violence of the missionization period in CA?
- Why is the complicated history of Juniperro Serra important to understand this chapter in history?
- In at least ONE full body paragraph(s), find at least TWO OUTSIDE HISTORICAL SOURCES, that relate to the Essay Topic and questions/themes posed. What do these outside sources reveal? And what questions are raised regarding CA Mission History?(Read directions below on Outside Historical Sources)
- Finally, what does CA Mission History reveal about early CA history and how do you think some of this hidden history can be included in 4th grade curriculum? Do you feel we are “white-washing” or “sanitizing” this history in CA curriculums? (Hint: you can even do a brief search on the internet, to look at various sites that have curriculum ideas and projects for teachers and students in the 4th grade and critique them briefly—some of these are on the powerpoint lecture).
Note: Each of the bullet points listed above should be a body paragraph in the essay. Use a variety of sources for your essay—this means the readings, class lecture material and documentaries are your sources. You also must find AT LEAST TWO ADDITIONAL OUTSIDE HISTORICAL SOURCES FOR YOUR ESSAY. YOU CAN USE UP TO 3 OUTSIDE SOURCES. THIS MEANS YOU WILL DO SOME LIGHT RESEARCH. A BODY PARAGRAPH IN A CRITICAL ESSAY SHOULD BE AT LEAST ½ A PAGE and should use a direct quote and reference other sources as supporting evidence.
Format: The review must be typed and be at least 3 full pages. You must not exceed 3 ½ pages. Any blank space on page does not count. If you turn in 2 ½ pages, you will receive 0 points.
- It should be double-spaced and in standard font (No fonts larger than 12)
- At least 1 inch margin on all sides of the paper.
- It should be proofread and use standard and formal English.
- Short essay format, with an Introduction, body paragraphs and Conclusion. You also need a thesis statement.
- EACH BODY PARAGRAPH NEEDS TO HAVE SUPPORTING EVIDENCE. (Be sure to use short quotes as supporting evidence and reference your authors/materials).
- YOU MUST FIND AT LEAST TWO OUTSIDE HISTORICAL SOURCES TO USE IN YOUR ESSAY, IN ADDITION TO THE CLASS MATERIAL. THESE SOURCES HAVE TO BE FROM ACADEMIC JOURNALS, REPUTABLE NEWSPAPERS AND/OR BOOKS. YOU HAVE THE OVIATT LIBRARY DATABASES AVAILABLE TO YOU ONLINE DURING THE WINTER BREAK. CHOOSE SOURCES THAT RELATE TO THEMES/QUESTIONS OUTLINED ABOVE IN THE DIRECTIONS.
- A good size paragraph is at least half a page (six to eight complex sentences)
- WORKS CITED PAGE IS A SEPARATE PAGE IN THE ESSAY. NOT INCLUDED IN THE 3 TO 3 ½ PAGE LENGTH!
- Citation style is MLA or APA (Style sheet Guidelines are found on the Oviatt Library page)
- NO TITLE PAGE IS NEEDED. SINCE YOUR NAME IS ON THE FILE UPLOAD ON CANVAS.
What to avoid:
- Avoid commentary that merely states your pre-established opinions.
- Avoid commentary not derived from the reading/class material.
- Avoid rambling.
- Avoid summary of the readings.
- Remember: The essay should not be summaries of the author’s ideas but exhibit your own original thoughts and reactions to those ideas.
- THIS IS A CRITICAL ESSAY, NOT AN OPINION PIECE, THEREFORE YOU NEED TO USE SHORT QUOTES/REFERENCE SOURCES AS SUPPORTING EVIDENCE. AND YOU ARE NOT TO WRITE IN THE FIRST PERSON.